Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Ow

Ow ow owie ow.

After a scintillating month of shingles (pretty much all better now, thanks!) I'm back in the gym.

Ow!

Two days ago was working on my pushups and pullups, and am still really really sore from that. Today was shoulder press work:

Shoulder press 1-1-1-1-1 reps
Push press 3-3-3-3-3 reps
Push Jerk 5-5-5-5-5 reps (5-5-2-3-5 actual)

I did it all with just the 45 lb bar. This was an interesting lesson for me. I was struggling with the last shoulder press and didn't see how I was going to do basically the same thing 40 more times. No way, no how.

However, I'd done my homework - watched the videos, and realized that this is designed really well. I couldn't have done many more shoulder presses, but the bit of heave-ho that you give yourself with the push press makes it possible. Yeah! For the push jerk, I really had to use my legs and jump under the bar to get it up over my head - at this point my arms were blown, so it was a good lesson.

Hm. Maybe they do know what they're talking about. In the meantime I'm considering drinking my coffee through a straw. Less arm movement that way.

Ow.

1 comment:

JaHo said...

Great job!

I know exactly what you mean about the design of that workout. I hit failure on my 5th rep of the shoulder press, and every time I manage to do more weight on the push press and push jerk. The technique really helps.

Ditto on the soreness. Ow. I forgot what a painful horse this was to ride