Thursday, February 14, 2008

Brought to you by the letters "Y", "T", "S", and "H"

We went to the local Y last night to check it out and it was awesome. There's a water slide!! Of course, I'm a little hesitant to get back into a pool until Big G, the goiter, has withered away. The weights area was small, but looks like it has pretty much everything I'll need. The Y was packed, and there was no one in the weights area, and that's actually fine with me.

My phone died yesterday. Dead as a doornail. Whoops... where did I put the charger? So I charged it up last night, and found a flurry of messages on my voicemail this morning from the Doctor's office. Three triage nurses called regarding the question I'd left at the front desk yesterday. Three! Wow! Awesome customer service.

Finally got the chance to chat with one of the nurses this afternoon and explained why I'd asked the question that I'd asked, and what my agenda was (more drugs please! thanks!). She was great, reading me stuff from my chart, letting me know that they did already have the results of yesterday's TSH test, letting me know how the Doctor usually does things, etc. She was great.

She said that what would probably happen is that the doctor will look at my results when she gets back from her vacation and have a nurse call me to ask how I would like to proceed - up the dosage, or hold steady. She indicated that this was usually what happens when the TSH is neither alarmingly high, or low.

So what's the verdict? 3.54.

August: 2.94
October: 2.31
November: 3.65 (after 8 weeks of 25 mg levothyroxine)
February: 3.54 (after 8 weeks of 37.5 mg levothyroxine)

I am intrigued. Why is my TSH still higher than it was before treatment? By all rights it should have dropped with the medication I'm taking. The endocrine system is so strange and complicated, it makes me wonder what the heck these numbers really mean.

1 comment:

JaHo said...

Pretty obvious:

They are measuring the wrong thing.

If the data doesn't support the conclusions, then either the data is wrong and the conclusion is right, or the data is right and the operating theory they were operating under is wrong.

Either way, no matter what your blood levels are, your physiology suggests that you're on the right track. For whatever reasons.