Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Heavy

Everything is still going wonderfully, but that's getting boring.

Went to the gym today for my ritual humiliation. The exercise of the day was announced as:

Front Squat 5-5-5-5-5 reps
Followed by "Everyone do this as Rx'd"

Darnit. Gonna have to do the big one today. Okay. Look up how to do a front squat, grab my keys, head to the gym. Gym was nice and empty. There was a girl on the stairstepper machine, physique similar to mine, and she was going very slowly for the brief moment while I was watching. She was also bright red, and drenched in sweat. I was thrilled - she's obviously pushing hard, not just doing the time. I was remotely proud, and wished her silent luck.

So I suppose I do understand a bit more why awesome-you're-red-and-sweaty guy spoke up last time. Note to self.

So, I head back to the back room and do the warmup. My pushups are ugly as heck, but at least they're full body pushups now, not just the knee-massagers. I'm doing dips between two benches so I can scooch my legs under myself for a bit of support. Hard to notice any progress on these. Everything else was total piece-of-cake.

So on to 'front squats'. I head through to the area that's got lighter dumbells and grab the 30 pounder. Just to see how it goes.

1.2.3.4.5 Okay done. Easy in fact.

Grab the 40 pounder.
1.2.3.4.5 Done. Not as easy. Harder to lift up to the shoulder-chest-rest zone, so I had to shrug and toss it just a bit. AHA. Okay, note to self. Next time I do cleans, try it with some weight - much easier! Also easier to get elbows pointing north with the heavier weight.

Grab the 50 pounder.
1.2.3.4.5. Ooof. Done. Not as easy again, but not feeling like I'm close to my limit.

Grab the 60 pounder.
1.2.3.4.5. Ooof. Oof. Done. Feels like exercise! Also noticing some muscles starting to make themselves known.

Grab the 70 pounder.
Ooopsies. Fumbled the shrugtosscatch. Try again. Fumble again. Needs work.

Grab the 60 pounder.
1.2.3.4.5. Done. Not putting it down. Just wait a second. Harder to catch breath with 60 extra pounds on my chest. Wonder idly if this is easier because of my big boobs. Hm. Okay, two more sets and done.

1.2.3.4.5. Ugh. Almost there. Must be using something in my abs because the front of my stomach hurts now.

1.2.3.4.5. Done. Done done. Back tired now too. Interesting. Now to try and put this thing down gracefully so I don't embarrass myself in front of gnarly guy.

Make notes.
40 50 60 not70 60 60 60

Ummmm...

Oops. Did an extra set.

Note to self regarding ability to count to five reliably. Needs work.

1 comment:

JaHo said...

Umm. You didn't do 40 50 60 not70 60 60 60x5

You did
5x40
5x50
5x60
5x70f
15x60

There's a world of difference, and what you did is much harder. Not putting the weight down means you did it all as one set. You don't really recover with the weight on you, or at least not as well... so you can count it as a 15. :)

Also, by the time you get up above 45 pounds, you can start using the official bars in the back room. Clean one up and put it on the squat rack so you can lift it up, take a couple of steps backwards, and do the squats. The bar alone weighs 45 pounds. Next time, I'd recommend starting with just the bar, and do 45 55 65 75 85. You should be able to front squat at least 20 lb more than you clean, and probably closer to 50-200lb more. (nice job on the cleans, btw!)