Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Let's hope I'm lucky!

From http://www.thyroidmanager.org specifically http://www.thyroidmanager.org/Chapter8/chapter8.html#id2452111 : Massively abridged quotation ... "it is now clear that up to one-fourth of patients who are hypothyroid [due to Hashimoto's] may spontaneously return to normal function over the course of several years."

That's outstanding. There's a 25% chance that this isn't a life sentence. Yay!

This article also discusses the generally accepted theory that there is a genetic component to this disease. Here's a shout-out to my blood-relations: Check your neck! Heck, everyone should.

I was reminded by a comment on an earlier post (Thanks!) of the Check Your Neck campaign. You all have excellent Google-fu so I will not insult your intelligence by posting links that will no doubt cease to work the minute I stop looking at them. The general idea is that you should keep an eye on your neck, and on necks around you, watching for swellings, masses, or changes. Hickies don't count.

When I originally started suspecting that I might have a thyroid problem I found the Check Your Neck site and got the shock of the year. I went to the bathroom, tilted my head back, and swallowed in front of the mirror. My thyroid was huuuuge. Huge in a magnificent manner that made me wonder why I hadn't seen it before. When I'm at the gym running, the lighting makes it look especially nice and large. How on earth could I have missed it? I looked at my Mum's and my husband's necks, and realized that I have a goiter. Charming. Nice to meet ya, Big G.

Check Your Neck. If you see something that worries you, talk to your doctor! If your doctor isn't as worried as you are, check with another doctor!

No comments: