Friday, October 12, 2007

So without any further ado..

I'm on meds. Took my first one yesterday, second one today. Levothyroxine, you sweet darling thing you.

I'm due back in for testing in six weeks to see how the ol' blood numbers are shaping up, and in the meantime I take a little peach pill each morning with a huge glass of water (it's a very dry and choky pill, if tiny). It's one of those "don't take with food" ones, but since I'm not a breakfast eater, that's no biggie.

This isn't a problem unless my metabolism increases, then I will sit with the dog and look wistfully at the fridge with droopy eyes until the evil clock has ticked away those precious minutes. Evil clock.

So, the big question is - are the meds helping? From what I can tell, you're not supposed to be able to feel results straight away. The half-life of Thyroxine (the hormone my little pill is replacing) is approximately one week (more if you're hypo, less if you're hyper), so my body shouldn't be saturated with the full dose for a week or so. The six week checkup is supposedly because the body's biochemistry takes that long to react to a change in situation. A bit like turning a barge. Looking at my waistline, an apropros comparison.

However, I think I notice a difference. It could be psychosomatic, it could be my suspected cold that I'm fighting off, but it *could* be the treatment.

1. I'm warmer, sitting here happily in a t-shirt. I don't sit happily in t-shirts even in the summertime.
2. I'm more energetic. I was pootling around today doing all sorts of little householdy things and not being at all draggy about it.
3. I don't think I ate enough today. Well, until the unfortunate Bridgetty pizza-for-dinner-debacle which I choose to blame on husband. Late afternoon I got shaky arms and shaky legs which really felt like the hungry shakies. Appetite hasn't gone up yet, but the metabolism might have.

I think it's crazy to think I'm feeling a result so quickly, but we'll see.

Body temp tonight is 97.9F. I tracked my temp for a while this summer and I was usually running around 97.2F, though I can't pretend that I measured with any sort of useful scientific rigor. Call it an anecdote if you will.

No comments: