Tuesday, November 27, 2007

I was right... it does hurt today

Don't make me laugh. Abs in bad shape today.

The brother told me a while back "The simpler the workout looks, the more in trouble you are." You ain't kidding.

Take, for instance, yesterday.

Warmup almost as usual, but finally had the strength to go to the next level with developing a solid pushup. Until yesterday, I'd start laying down, push up, descend wobbily, recover for a moment, rinse, repeat. Yesterday, I had the strength to start up in plank pose, at the "up" portion of the pushup, descend wobbily, push up, and recover up in plank pose. Massive difference. It means my core was engaged the whole time. Getting up I thought, gee... that's gonna hurt tomorrow.

I was right.

The workout for yesterday was tremendously simple - scaled down to buttercup level it was "5 pullups 5 times" subbing as necessary if you can't do a pullup.

I can't do a pullup. If I was at my ideal body weight, I think I'd be close, but I'm about 60 pounds overweight right now. I had been working on doing pulldowns, and have tried unsuccessfully to work on jumping pullups. Then I discovered the standing pulldown. Really engages your core - I can't lift as much standing as I can sitting on the squashy seat.

So I start with something easy: 110# 5 times. Work, but not too hard.

Again 110# 5 times. Harder, but not hard enough.

120# 5 times. Um. Have to jump a bit to get it started.

130# 5 times. Gosh, I must look ridiculous. Have to jump quite a bit to get it started. Really working at controlling the nadir before letting the weight down.

140# 5 times. Even with jumping, I failed on the final three.

Ow.

Onto other news. My weight today is officially EXACTLY the same as it was on 10/30/2007. You don't get to know the number though - state secret.

The good news is that my body measurements are down by 3.25 inches

Thigh: 27.25" to 26.5"
Belly: 44.5" to 43.5"
Bum: 46.5" to 46"
Boobs (No Bra): 47.75" to 47"
Chest (Above Boobs): 44.5" to 43.5"
Upper Arm: 14" to 14.75" (bigger!)

10/30 total is 224.5"
11/27 total is 221.25"

If this continues, I might just be out of plus sizes by summertime!

1 comment:

JaHo said...

Nice work!

I wondered what the sub for the weighted pullup would be. 5x5 pullups. Nice.

...and evil, that is.

Good job on the pushups. When I saw you last, you were really working them hard. You're seeing how all of the core muscles are recruited in pretty much everything we do. More importantly, you're feeling it.

Feel good about the weights you're pulling down- that's a lot, and it's a great start. Don't feel bad about not being able to to a pullup yet. I was barely there when I started. After 2 years of training solidly, I finally got a 60-lb weighted pullup... which is what we're expecting you to do at the start! So don't feel bad. I just wish they had a gravitron machine at your gym; you'd at least feel like you were moving your body with your arms, instead of the other way around.

Awesome news about the body composition changes. Every single one of those measurements is going an awesome amount in the right direction. Even the arms! :)

Happy to see the progress! Keep it up!